apex-dev mailing list archives

From Chinmay Kolhatkar <chin...@datatorrent.com>
Subject Re: Apache Apex as component in Apache bigtop
Date Tue, 09 Feb 2016 17:05:30 GMT
Hello Everyone!!

Continuing with packaging effort (rpm+deb) of apex, here are some proposals
about package structure etc..
Before posting it on bbigtop mailing list, I have some question for apex
community.

Proposed Directory structure of apex package for both deb & rpm:

/usr/lib/apex/bin/dtcli
/usr/lib/apex/lib/apex-api-<version>.jar
/usr/lib/apex/lib/apex-engine-<version>.jar
/usr/lib/apex/lib/apex-bufferserver-<version>.jar
/usr/lib/apex/lib/apex-common-<version>.jar
/usr/lib/apex/lib/<other dependent jars>
/usr/bin/dtcli -> /usr/lib/apex/bin/dtcli
/usr/share/doc/man/man1/dtcli.1.gz
/usr/share/doc/apex/license/LICENSE.txt
/usr/share/doc/apex/license/<package>-LICENSE.txt
/usr/share/doc/apex/CHANGELOG
/usr/share/doc/apex/NOTICE

<version> = 3.3.0-incubating.
<other dependent jars> = All the 3rd party jars which are required for apex
to run. Usually the dependencies are packaged as part of rpm/deb by any
software in bigtop.
<package LICENSE> = Licenses of corresponding of 3rd party jars which needs
to included while packaging.

Questions related to this:
1. Should we call the cli of apex as "apex" instead of "dtcli" in bigtop
package?
2. I see that all softwares in bigtop have man page for their executables.
I think we should have it too for dtcli. Is there any documentation which I
can convert to man page? or can I use output of "dtcli --help"?
3. Do we want to call version of apex in Bigtop as 3.3.0 OR
3.3.0-incubating?
4. Is it ok for apex package of bigtop to depend on 2.7.1  version of
bigtop hadoop? Any problems that we see with this dependency?
5. Following is the apache mirror from which bigtop will pick the apex
source for compilation and packaging. Please correct if incorrect:
    http://apache.osuosl.org/incubator/apex/v3.3.0-incubating/
    NOTE: apache.osuosl.org is the mirror used by all the softwares in
bigtop.

Please share your opinion.

Thanks,
Chinmay.