apex-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Nauroth <cnaur...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Apex Graduation
Date Thu, 28 Jan 2016 00:58:25 GMT
I agree that it's good to start the graduation discussion, pending
resolution of the documentation and release items mentioned by other
mentors in the thread.  I've been very impressed with this community's
level of activity and openness.

I took a pass through the maturity model, and I'd like to call out the
items that may need additional work.  I also have pointed out examples of
how an existing project meets these criteria.  (I used Hadoop, because
it's the project I know best.)

This exercise is best done as a self-evaluation by the most involved
contributors, so it's possible that my perspective is incomplete.  I
encourage more of the deeply involved community members to review the
maturity model in detail and draw their own conclusions.

Also, I want to make sure it's clear that the maturity model is not an
absolute list of requirements.  It is the community's choice on whether or
not to address these points before a graduation proposal.  However, some
IPMC members do use the maturity model as a checklist to gauge the health
of a podling, so you'll bolster your case for graduation with the wider
IPMC if you choose to take action on them.  I also think all of these
things are generally good for the project anyway, so it's not just a
matter of satisfying bureaucratic demands.

QU30
The project provides a well-documented channel to report security issues,
along with a documented way of responding to them.

I couldn't find a security vulnerability process documented at
apex.incubator.apache.org.  Example:
http://hadoop.apache.org/mailing_lists.html

QU40
The project puts a high priority on backwards compatibility and aims to
document any incompatible changes and provide tools and documentation to
help users transition to new features.

I couldn't find backwards-compatibility guidelines documented at
apex.incubator.apache.org.  Example:
http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/r2.7.2/hadoop-project-dist/hadoop-common/Comp
atibility.html

CS10
The project maintains a public list of its contributors who have decision
power -- the project's PMC (Project Management Committee) consists of
those contributors.

I couldn't find a "Who We Are" page at apex.incubator.apache.org.  I think
the information is accurate in the incubation status page though.
Example: https://hadoop.apache.org/who.html

CS30
Documented voting rules are used to build consensus when discussion is not
sufficient.

I couldn't find any statement of this.  Example:
http://hadoop.apache.org/bylaws.html

--Chris Nauroth