apex-dev mailing list archives

From Thomas Weise <tho...@datatorrent.com>
Subject Re: master branch in place of devel-3
Date Fri, 22 Jan 2016 01:08:22 GMT
That will also work but master is not needed for released versions.
Releases are tags and typically used through the Maven dependencies.

People coming to github are typically contributors and they should see the
latest stable code. When we merge changes into devel-3, they have been
reviewed and tested, we cut the release branches from devel-3. This is what
should be visible by default.

Once we do major changes, we will need to do those on another branch.
Making changes for next major release 4.x is one such branch in my mind.

Thomas

On Thu, Jan 21, 2016 at 4:59 PM, Sandesh Hegde <sandesh@datatorrent.com>
wrote:

> How about we just keep "devel"? and master continues to be released
> version.
>
> On Thu, Jan 21, 2016 at 4:55 PM Vlad Rozov <v.rozov@datatorrent.com>
> wrote:
>
> > If I remember correctly the idea behind using master and devel-3/devel-4
> > was to use devel-3 and devel-4 for trunks on 3.x and 4.x and use master
> > as the latest released version.
> >
> > I am not proposing to use master one way or another, just stating my
> > understanding behind the current configuration of the Apex core and
> > malhar branches.
> >
> > Thank you,
> >
> > Vlad
> >
> > On 1/21/16 15:18, Thomas Weise wrote:
> > > It my be possible but I would question why. The master branch does not
> > > serve any other purpose, so why not use it for development?

> core

> master?

> > Core
> branch