apex-dev mailing list archives

From Tushar Gosavi <tus...@datatorrent.com>
Subject Re: master branch in place of devel-3
Date Fri, 22 Jan 2016 06:44:24 GMT
+1 for using default branch for active development. devel-3 if it can be
made default or master.
We already saw developer opening pull request against master (
https://github.com/apache/incubator-apex-malhar/pull/146)
and we had to specifically tell them open pull request against devel-3.
Using default branch will reduce such confusion.

-Tushar.

On Fri, Jan 22, 2016 at 11:38 AM, Chinmay Kolhatkar <chinmay@datatorrent.com
> wrote:

> +1 for switching trunk development to master for both APEXCORE and
> APEXMALHAR.
>
> I understand that current master has stable/tested version of apex. And we
> would lose that if trunk development happens on master.
> Hence, to point to last stable/tested version for apex, would it make sense
> to add a section about that in README.md?
>
> I'm not sure if other Apache projects follow this way. So, this is just a
> proposal.
>
> Thanks,
> Chinmay.
>

> On Fri, Jan 22, 2016 at 7:10 AM, Vlad Rozov <v.rozov@datatorrent.com>
> wrote:
>
> > I'll vote for all the trunk development being done on the default branch.
> > If there is a way to mark devel-3 as default, it will be as good as
> > switching all trunk development to the master branch that is currently
> > default.
> >
> > Thank you,
> >
> > Vlad
> >

> > On 1/21/16 17:08, Thomas Weise wrote:
> >
> >> That will also work but master is not needed for released versions.
> >> Releases are tags and typically used through the Maven dependencies.
> >>
> >> People coming to github are typically contributors and they should see
> the
> >> latest stable code. When we merge changes into devel-3, they have been
> >> reviewed and tested, we cut the release branches from devel-3. This is
> >> what
> >> should be visible by default.
> >>
> >> Once we do major changes, we will need to do those on another branch.
> >> Making changes for next major release 4.x is one such branch in my mind.
> >>
> >> Thomas
> >>

> >> On Thu, Jan 21, 2016 at 4:59 PM, Sandesh Hegde <sandesh@datatorrent.com
> >
> >> wrote:
> >>
> >> How about we just keep "devel"? and master continues to be released

> devel-3/devel-4
> master

> not

> active