apex-dev mailing list archives

From Chinmay Kolhatkar <chin...@datatorrent.com>
Subject Re: Support for Anti-Affinity in Apex
Date Sat, 23 Jan 2016 04:38:04 GMT
Hi Isha, Bhupesh,

When I suggested singe affinity rule, I was mainly talking about "how to"
of configuration and not of implementation.

I see locality is in a way suggesting an affinity of operators. They're
close terminologies.
By configuring a locality on stream, we're also, in a way, defining
affinity of operators.

Until now, only locality was there and hence was straight forward in
configuration for user.
Tomorrow, when anti-affinity configuration comes up, one might get confused
on how to best use both locality & anti-affinity.
Hence suggested to make both (locality/affinity & anti-affinity) as a part
of single configuration.

Suggestion is to have a more commonly adopted configuration which admins
and developer's are familiar with.
Again referring to vShere Hypervisor's affinity rules. I think they have a
single configuration which does both.

Having said that, here is a quick suggestion on how both can be achieved in
a single configuration:

CATEGORY    TYPE           POLICY              ENTITIES
Affinity             THREAD      REQUIRED        O1, O2      //Meaning
Operator1 & Operator2 should be thread local
Affinity             NODE          PREFERRED     O3, O4      //Meaning O3 &
O4 are preferred to be in node local
AntiAffinity       NODE          REQUIRED        O1, O4      //Meaning O1 &
O4 should not be on same node.
AntiAffinity       RACK          PREFERRED     O2, O4      //Meaning O2 &
O4 are preferred not to be on same rack.

Linux setting affinity of CPUs for threads is another way of configuration
we can take a look at.

Learning from these commonly adopted configuration pattern, we should come
up with best configuration suitable for distributed environment.
Idea here is to not have our own configuration and give something new to
the users. Otherwise such an important concept might quickly get lost.

Regarding the DAG.validate I think we would need to add some new stuff to
take care of anti-affinity.
Plus, anti-affinity/affinity should be validated at DAG.validate only for
the ones which are required.
For preferred policies, validation in logical plan might be a early check.

Thanks,
Chinmay.

On Sat, Jan 23, 2016 at 3:15 AM, Isha Arkatkar <isha@datatorrent.com> wrote:

> [...]
>
>  Regarding specification of attributes from dt-site.xml. We can go with
> Json like string or even xml representation for complex objects. What is
> our current behavior for setting Java object properties through XML? We can
> follow the same for this as well.
>
>   As for precedence or ability to satisfy constraints: Right now in normal
> scenario, if resources are not available for allocating containers, we keep
> sending to request till all are obtained. Likewise, in case of strict
> anti-affinity policy, we should keep the application in ACCEPTED state till
> the anti-affinity constraint is satisfied. For relaxed policy, we can
> decide timeout for relaxing the anti-affinity rule. Please note this
> applies only when we have non-contradicting rules.
>
> Thanks!
> Isha
>
> On Fri, Jan 22, 2016 at 5:30 AM, Bhupesh Chawda <bhupesh@datatorrent.com>
> wrote:
>
> > I agree on having a single set of rules for the affinity as well as
> > anti-affinity of operators / partitions on containers.
> >
> > However, I noted the following points:
> >
> >    1. AFAIK, we do not support affinity (locality) in a general sense.
> The
> >    affinity is only for a stream, not for *any* two operators. So, we
> >    should also look at the general case and see how it can be supported,
> if
> >    there are valid use cases.
> >    2. Coming to anti-affinity, we cannot type cast it as a type of
> affinity
> >    rule. Saying "two operators must be on the same container" is very
> >    different from saying "these two operators must not be on the same
> >    container". In this case, the second one is a much more relaxed rule
> as
> >    compared to the first one.
> >    3. Once we have this generic set of rules, there must be a
> >    "satisfiability" test run before requesting YARN for containers. If
> the
> >    request is not satisfiable, then there is no point asking YARN to
> > allocate
> >    containers in this manner. In case it is not satisfiable, we must also
> > have
> >    a default order in which the rules can be "relaxed" and the request be
> > made
> >    satisfiable. For example, some very strict rules may be ignored, or
> made
> >    less constraining ( for example "on the same container" => "on the
> same
> >    node").
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > -Bhupesh
> >
> > On Fri, Jan 22, 2016 at 2:54 PM, Aniruddha Thombare <
> > aniruddha@datatorrent.com> wrote:
> >
> > > +1 On Chinmay's suggestion about having single set of affinity rules.
> > >

> > > Thanks,
> > >

> > > Aniruddha
> > >
> > > On Fri, Jan 22, 2016 at 1:57 PM, Sandeep Deshmukh <

I am
> > > But I

> > > could
> regex.