apex-dev mailing list archives

From "Ganelin, Ilya" <Ilya.Gane...@capitalone.com>
Subject Word Count Tutorial Failure
Date Thu, 19 Nov 2015 18:18:08 GMT
Hi all – I just attempted to follow the instructions here:
http://docs.datatorrent.com/tutorials/topnwords-c2/

For standing up top N words in Java.

As it stands, things did not work. I was using IntelliJ Idea 14. There were a number of issues,
a short (not comprehensive) list is below.

 1.  There are discrepancies between the selected language level in the project settings and
certain constructs in the code
    *   In WordReader.java diamonds are used, which are only supported in java 7 but the language
level is set to 5
 2.  The apex version is out of date in the pom.xml file (it’s set to 2.2)
 3.  ApplicationWithQuerySupport.java does not compile with newer versions of Apex

I spent about 15 minutes trying to get this thing to work in its present state and it simply
was not an easy and ready to roll example.

General thoughts:

 1.  We should not be asking users to manually copy example files from one place to another
 2.  We should not be asking them to rename packages to get things to work
 3.  We should not be asking them to modify existing example code to construct another example.
    *   I think a better approach is to provide a complete example (that works out of the
box) and that we can then walk through line by line to explain what it’s doing.
 4.  We shouldn’t be asking them to copy-paste in settings. Instead, we should walk them
through what it means to set settings and have a simple enough example that it’s straightforward
to configure.
 5.  Standing up a word count example should be a 1-button-click deployment that is ready
to run without any user input. Any further configuration should only be necessary for the
sake of teaching, not for the sake of operationalizing the project.

I hope this helps, I’m happy to offer further feedback. Thanks!

material from your computer.