apex-dev mailing list archives

From "Ganelin, Ilya" <Ilya.Gane...@capitalone.com>
Subject Is discussion happening in private?
Date Wed, 18 Nov 2015 00:46:58 GMT
>From recent discussion on the dev list, there have been several comments that have indicated
that there are discussions happening in the private mailing list. I know that several PPMC
members are not privy to this private mailing list and as such have been left out of these
discussions.

Given the recent questions about the PPMC, until the current vote passes, the Apache documentation
states that all PPMC should be privy to that discussion:

"The mentors should verify that all PPMC members are actually subscribed to the private list.
Mailing list moderators can request the list of subscribers using ezmlm commands, and any
subscriber can send a "ping - please reply" message to check who is actually "listening" to
the PPMC list.”

Having these discussions in private, hidden from the broader community, does not facilitate
constructive discourse and makes it harder for current PPMC members to participate or to appreciate
other perspectives. From the documentation:

"Most communication should be on the Podling's dev list! The private list is used only for
confidential discussions that should not be made public, such as the suitability of a particular
individual to become a committer or a member of the PPMC.”

Since the present discussion does not deal with the specific suitability of individuals, but
rather applies to the community as a whole, I believe those discussions should have been conducted
in view of the general community on the dev list, and that it makes sense to share these discussion
threads here.

The alternative is to add all current PPMC members to the private list but given that that
list is potentially shrinking in the near future, that may be unwarranted.

Relevant documentation below:
https://incubator.apache.org/guides/ppmc.html

material from your computer.