apex-dev mailing list archives

From Thomas Weise <tho...@datatorrent.com>
Subject Re: Incubator vote for Malhar release
Date Tue, 17 Nov 2015 04:05:40 GMT
-->

On Mon, Nov 16, 2015 at 7:53 PM, Ted Dunning <ted.dunning@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 17, 2015 at 9:47 AM, Thomas Weise <thomas@datatorrent.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Thanks. We have 3 binding votes so we are good with this release.
> >
> > Also wanted to know if the voting can be expedited for future releases
> (now
> > that we have the basic release kinks worked out).
> >

> The issue with this is that expediting the voting means that IPMC members
> who would like to review a release but who are not on your dev list are
> effectively disenfranchised by a short vote cycle.

My idea was to combine the vote on general@, leaving everyone with the same
72 hours.

As it stands we have 72 hours on dev@ followed by 72 hours on general@

As Justin suggested, the answer is to graduate. It won't be that long
> before that happens, I would guess.  Making clean releases that have been
> well examined is really key to that.

Of course, we hope to graduate as soon as possible! I suspect in the
interim, we will still have quite a few releases (as often as 1 or even 2
per month).

> > Is there an option to combine PPMC and IPMC vote and let everyone vote on
> > general@ ? In the end, that's the ultimate vote and only IPMC votes are
> > binding.
> >

> Having the community vote separately is viewed by many as useful since it
> is closer to the way the vote will eventually proceed when the project
> becomes independent of the incubator.

I see it that way, too.

Thanks,
Thomas