apex-dev mailing list archives

From Thomas Weise <tho...@datatorrent.com>
Subject Roadmap discussion
Date Mon, 02 Nov 2015 21:41:00 GMT
Over the past few weeks, few of us had offline discussions at several
occasions about features that we would like to see added to Apex.

We would like to make this discussion broader and inclusive. The goal is to
come up with a road map for the next releases (Core and Malhar) and to
document it formally. The intend is to cover a time frame of 3-4 months
with perhaps releases 3.3 and 3.4 for core, and potentially more frequent
releases for Malhar.

At the moment some of the items have JIRAs, others don't. It would be great
to ultimately see a road map report generated from JIRA that shows on our
web site or wiki. Volunteers welcome!

Below is the list of items under discussion or in the works, please add and
comment.

Thomas

   - Documentation on Apex web site
   - Modules
      - https://malhar.atlassian.net/browse/APEX-3
   - High level DAG specification API.
      - Support the Scala, functional style of specification. It will
      require adding some operators also.
      - There are other APIs that we can consider as well and there are
      projects that we can study for reference.
      - Also opens interesting possibilities for optimization (automatic
      setting of attributes etc.) down the line.
   - Support for iterative processing
      - https://malhar.atlassian.net/browse/APEX-60
   - Machine Learning integration
      - SAMOA: https://malhar.atlassian.net/browse/APEX-202
      - H2O
      - ???
   - Operator state management foundation (for scalable relational
   operations like join)
      - https://malhar.atlassian.net/browse/MLHR-1873
   - Distributed operator state
      - https://malhar.atlassian.net/browse/APEX-119
   - Support for new Kafka API
   - Anti-affinity
      - https://malhar.atlassian.net/browse/APEX-10
   - Join, anti-Join operators
      - https://malhar.atlassian.net/browse/MLHR-1720
      - https://malhar.atlassian.net/browse/MLHR-1812
      - https://malhar.atlassian.net/browse/MLHR-1813
      - https://malhar.atlassian.net/browse/MLHR-1811
   - Zeppelin integration?
   - Support for dynamically changing platform attributes
      - https://malhar.atlassian.net/browse/APEX-231
   - Augment the property file specification
      - Augment property file specification to support scenarios such as
      using single instance for partitioner and stats listener
         - https://malhar.atlassian.net/browse/APEX-233
      - A less verbose way to specify properties
      - https://malhar.atlassian.net/browse/APEX-234
      - Dynamic modification of DAG with replacement of operators with new
      code
      - https://malhar.atlassian.net/browse/APEX-232
   - Consistency in dynamic setting of properties
   -  https://malhar.atlassian.net/browse/APEX-163