apex-dev mailing list archives

From Munagala Ramanath <...@datatorrent.com>
Subject Re: Word Count Tutorial Failure
Date Thu, 19 Nov 2015 18:34:53 GMT
Hi Ilya,

We've had at least a couple of people walk through the steps with no problems.
Not sure if anyone has tried this with IntelliJ so there may be some
IDE related issue there.

When I generate a new project using the maven archetype, I get a
pom.xml file which has
<datatorrent.version>3.1.1</datatorrent.version>
near the top; is this value different in your case (your first item 2) ?

Ram

On Thu, Nov 19, 2015 at 10:18 AM, Ganelin, Ilya
<Ilya.Ganelin@capitalone.com> wrote:
> Hi all – I just attempted to follow the instructions here:
> http://docs.datatorrent.com/tutorials/topnwords-c2/
>
> For standing up top N words in Java.
>
> As it stands, things did not work. I was using IntelliJ Idea 14. There were a number
of issues, a short (not comprehensive) list is below.

>  1.  There are discrepancies between the selected language level in the project settings
and certain constructs in the code
>     *   In WordReader.java diamonds are used, which are only supported in java 7 but
the language level is set to 5
>  2.  The apex version is out of date in the pom.xml file (it’s set to 2.2)
>  3.  ApplicationWithQuerySupport.java does not compile with newer versions of Apex
>
> I spent about 15 minutes trying to get this thing to work in its present state and it
simply was not an easy and ready to roll example.

> General thoughts:
>
>  1.  We should not be asking users to manually copy example files from one place to another
>  2.  We should not be asking them to rename packages to get things to work
>  3.  We should not be asking them to modify existing example code to construct another
example.
>     *   I think a better approach is to provide a complete example (that works out of
the box) and that we can then walk through line by line to explain what it’s doing.
>  4.  We shouldn’t be asking them to copy-paste in settings. Instead, we should walk
them through what it means to set settings and have a simple enough example that it’s straightforward
to configure.
>  5.  Standing up a word count example should be a 1-button-click deployment that is ready
to run without any user input. Any further configuration should only be necessary for the
sake of teaching, not for the sake of operationalizing the project.

> I hope this helps, I’m happy to offer further feedback. Thanks!
>
> The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and/or proprietary to Capital
One and/or its affiliates and may only be used solely in performance of work or services for
Capital One. The information transmitted herewith is intended only for use by the individual
or entity to which it is addressed. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient,
you are hereby notified that any review, retransmission, dissemination, distribution, copying
material from your computer.