apex-dev mailing list archives

From "Ganelin, Ilya" <Ilya.Gane...@capitalone.com>
Subject RE: Is discussion happening in private?
Date Wed, 18 Nov 2015 01:46:47 GMT
Amol - that makes sense. Thank you for the clarification.

Thank you,
Ilya Ganelin

-----Original Message-----
From: Amol Kekre [amol@datatorrent.com<mailto:amol@datatorrent.com>]
Sent: Tuesday, November 17, 2015 08:44 PM Eastern Standard Time
To: dev@apex.incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: Is discussion happening in private?

Ilya,
There was a discussion on private on whether all initial committers were in
PPMC, as some committers were not voting as binding. We pointed out that it
was not the case as per the original thoughts to keep committers and (P)PMC
separate. Then on the discussion was moved to dev@. That thread does
include among other things, details of my interaction with mentors
pre-incubation of Apache Apex and how the ball on listing PPMC got dropped
(my bad) in pre incubation exchanges. Some of that exchange may include
text that participants thought was for private. Forwarding that to dev@ may
have privacy issue.

Thks,
Amol

On Tue, Nov 17, 2015 at 4:46 PM, Ganelin, Ilya <Ilya.Ganelin@capitalone.com>
wrote:

> From recent discussion on the dev list, there have been several comments
> that have indicated that there are discussions happening in the private
> mailing list. I know that several PPMC members are not privy to this
> private mailing list and as such have been left out of these discussions.
>
> Given the recent questions about the PPMC, until the current vote passes,
> the Apache documentation states that all PPMC should be privy to that
> discussion:
>
> "The mentors should verify that all PPMC members are actually subscribed
> to the private list. Mailing list moderators can request the list of
> subscribers using ezmlm commands, and any subscriber can send a "ping -
> please reply" message to check who is actually "listening" to the PPMC
> list.”
>
> Having these discussions in private, hidden from the broader community,
> does not facilitate constructive discourse and makes it harder for current
> PPMC members to participate or to appreciate other perspectives. From the
> documentation:
>
> "Most communication should be on the Podling's dev list! The private list
> is used only for confidential discussions that should not be made public,
> such as the suitability of a particular individual to become a committer or
> a member of the PPMC.”
>
> Since the present discussion does not deal with the specific suitability
> of individuals, but rather applies to the community as a whole, I believe
> those discussions should have been conducted in view of the general
> community on the dev list, and that it makes sense to share these
> discussion threads here.
>
> The alternative is to add all current PPMC members to the private list but
> given that that list is potentially shrinking in the near future, that may
> be unwarranted.
>
> Relevant documentation below:
> https://incubator.apache.org/guides/ppmc.html

material from your computer.