apex-dev mailing list archives

From "Ganelin, Ilya" <Ilya.Gane...@capitalone.com>
Subject RE: [VOTE] PPMC change
Date Tue, 17 Nov 2015 07:28:50 GMT
As one of the initial active folks on the list of committers (and thus a PPMC member) I'm acutely
aware that I'm potentially forfeiting a seat on the PMC by voting for this proposal.

However, I fundamentally believe that the folks who should have a meaningful influence on
a project's direction are those who have demonstrably earned that role. Anything else seems
disingenuous and not in the spirit of Apache - a culture based on meritocracy and contribution.
If the founding members ultimately decide that they want broader community involvement by
involving others, that decision should be up to them. I feel that they have earned the privilege
of explicitly making that decision.

I think it's unfair to portray a resignation as a negative in this instance. I don't think
there's any question that the Apex PPMC seeks to grow the community In a sustained and meaningful
way but that can only happen when the project maintains its integrity and clarity of purpose
from the beginning.

Thank you,
Ilya Ganelin

-----Original Message-----
From: Hitesh Shah [hitesh@apache.org<mailto:hitesh@apache.org>]
Sent: Tuesday, November 17, 2015 01:19 AM Eastern Standard Time
To: dev@apex.incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: [VOTE] PPMC change

-0. This is effectively asking a bunch of the initial committers to resign from the PPMC.
That said, this is not a -1 from me as it is up to the initial folks who came in as part of
the Incubation proposal to decide on how they would like to move forward and foster the community
for the longer term.

— Hitesh

material from your computer.