apex-dev mailing list archives

From Vlad Rozov <v.ro...@datatorrent.com>
Subject Re: Extent of attention to code style in code reviews
Date Wed, 18 Nov 2015 02:36:13 GMT
I think that code readability is quite important and will help new
contributors become successful committers. As long as we go through an
exercise to make existing code to adhere to a particular code style the
end goal should be to improve both consistency and readability.

For example enforcing wrapping on 120 column boundary is not a goal by
itself, it helps developers that don't have extra wide monitors to read
the code. Enforcing this rule and making code less readable does not
make sense, imo. For example the following two code snippets are valid,
but the first one is less readable, so in the code review we should
prefer the second one over the first one.

public areallylongclassnamethat foo() {
   return new
     areallylongclassnamethat();
}