apex-dev mailing list archives

From Chandni Singh <chan...@datatorrent.com>
Subject Handling wildcard imports
Date Fri, 02 Oct 2015 06:09:25 GMT
The discussion about wildcards spun off from a previous discussion about
imports. Summarizing the options:

1. Currently with checkstyle we cannot validate that a wildcard import  was
inserted only if the count is greater than a specified number.

However in the settings we provide we can specify this number only for
regular imports not static imports.

I think it should be 10, i.e., if class count is greater than 10 number,
insert a wildcard import.

Disable wildcard import for static imports.

Also I think there is a need for documenting our style and rules.
2. The standard checkstyle configurations of sun and google completely
avoid wildcard imports and the rationale is :

Rationale: Importing all classes from a package or static members from a
class leads to tight coupling between packages or classes and might lead to
problems when a new version of a library introduces name clashes.

Most IDEs actually hide imports so even this makes sense as well

I am +1 for disabling wildcard imports.

Please provide your feedback.

Thanks,

Chandni