apex-dev mailing list archives

From "Ganelin, Ilya" <Ilya.Gane...@capitalone.com>
Subject RE: Existing checkstyle violations
Date Tue, 20 Oct 2015 18:29:51 GMT
I think it can be a mix. I think folks should be able to submit patches that are only style
fixes (for an entire file) OR fix minor things as they go. I don't think major stylistic overhauls
should be mixed with logical changes.

Thank you,
Ilya Ganelin

-----Original Message-----
From: Vlad Rozov [v.rozov@datatorrent.com<mailto:v.rozov@datatorrent.com>]
Sent: Tuesday, October 20, 2015 02:15 PM Eastern Standard Time
To: dev@apex.incubator.apache.org
Subject: Existing checkstyle violations

All,

We have a large number of existing checkstyle violations and it is
cumbersome to distinguish a newly introduced violation from existing
ones. We need to agree on the process to fix them and there are multiple
approaches how we can do it.

1. Fix them all in a single commit (one commit for Core and one for
Malhar). Pros: change can easily be distinguished from logical code
changes. Cons: large number of changes in a single commit, hard to
review. Changes and review likely to be done by developers not familiar
with code specifics.
2. Fix as we go. Only change code style violation in modified places.
Pros: limited amount of change. Easy to review. Cons: likely to take
forever. Some part of the code may not be fixed at all.
3. Somewhat combination of 1 & 2. Fix all violations in files affected
by a commit. Pros: changes likely to be done by developers familiar with
the code. Cons: harder to distinguish between logical and style changes
in a single commit.
4. Any other suggestions?

Independently of the approach selected, we should not allow commits
where entire file is modified due to style modifications. Such file(s)
needs to be fixed and committed using Malhar CI.

Thank you,

Vlad

material from your computer.

material from your computer.