apex-dev mailing list archives

From Hitesh Shah <hit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [MENTORS] Release candidates
Date Fri, 09 Oct 2015 15:18:56 GMT
The same holds for publishing artifacts to the maven repo. You publish version 2.5.0-incubating
( to clarify, if you are using version 2.5.0 in the poms, it should be changed to “2.5.0-incubating”
) and if the RC vote succeeds, then these get promoted ( or dropped on a vote failure ).

thanks
— HItesh

On Oct 9, 2015, at 12:43 AM, Justin Mclean <justin@classsoftware.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
>> Otherwise the package is rebuilt without RC in the archive name.
>
> Normally the package is renamed not rebuilt.
>
>> But since the package is rebuilt, what finally goes out isn't really what
>> was voted on.
>
> If you just rename it then it is the artefact you voted on. Part of the release process
is to verify that what is build  is identical to what is tagged in version control.

>> If that is acceptable, then can we also change the version numbers of the
>> artifacts that go to the staging repository for each RC (2.5.0-RC1) instead
>> of repeating builds against 2.5.0 with different code?
>
> It’s up to the PMC to decide what its calls the release candidates, it suggested that
you are releasing 2.5.0, you would make and vote on 2.5.0RC1, 2.5.0RC2 etc etc until a vote
passes and that becomes what is released and is renamed 2.5.0.

>> What is the recommended best practice?
>
> There some information here [1]
>
> While making the first RC it’s a good idea to document the steps needed to produce
it and put on the web site / wiki.