apex-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Apache Apex Core Release 3.2.0-incubating (RC1)
Date Fri, 23 Oct 2015 04:45:52 GMT
Hi,

> The NOTICE files are added to the .jar files by a plugin that is setup in
> the Apache POM.

It should be possible to get it to use our NOTICE file. Sorry I don’t know enough about
how that all works to be able to suggest how to do that. Perhaps another mentor does?

> I see examples of not matching the top level NOTICE elsewhere where this
> POM is used.

In projects that produce multiple jars the notice in each jar may be different, as it depends
on the jars contents, so it could be that you are seeing. Read the guiding priniciple [1]
and note that it applies to binaries as well [2]. At some point I assume you may want to ship
a convenience binary to users?

> I also see other releases with .jar artifacts that have no NOTICE file in it.

That’s not in line with current Apache policy. See [3].
"Again, these artifacts may be distributed only if they contain LICENSE and NOTICE files.
For example, the Java artifact format is based on a compressed directory structure and those
projects wishing to distribute jars must place LICENSE and NOTICE files in the META-INF directory
within the jar."

You might want to look at similar JIRA issues here [4] and in particular this one:

BTW as long as you raise a JIRA about this I don't think this need to be fixed right away
and can wait for a future incubating release. I wouldn’t expect any IPMC member to consider
this a blocking issue for a first release. (And if they do point them to the JIRA).

> What is your recommendation, same NOTICE file in all .jar artifacts or
> generated NOTICE file with (changed) name of module?

It depends on the contents of each jar, again see 1 and 2. In Apex case it may be that they
are all the same, I’d need to take a close look at the jar’s contents to determine.

Thanks,
Justin

1. http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html#guiding-principle
2. http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html#binary