apex-dev mailing list archives

From Hitesh Shah <hit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Incubator PMC/Board report for Sep 2015 ([ppmc])
Date Thu, 03 Sep 2015 22:36:09 GMT
Digged into a few earlier filed INFRA jiras.

More info:
   - https://blogs.apache.org/infra/entry/git_based_websites_available
   - Example jira:https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-9559

A questions for the community: I assume there is a single website for apex, where would you
prefer to host the contents? Would an asf-site branch in the core repo suffice? Would you
prefer a separate apex-site repo? If a separate repo, then the currently filed INFRA ticket
should be modified to request for the new repo.

Once the repo is sorted out and the content pushed to it, a request can be made to INFRA to
create the website and set up gitpubsub.

thanks
— HItesh

On Sep 3, 2015, at 3:20 PM, Andy Perlitch <andy@datatorrent.com> wrote:

> Thanks a lot Hitesh!
>
> I have opened up INFRA-10249
> <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-10249>. Hopefully I can get
> some response there and continue my effort.
>
> Best,
> Andy
>
> On Thu, Sep 3, 2015 at 3:01 PM, Hitesh Shah <hitesh@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> For Tez, the general approach we followed was using svnpubsub.
>>
>> What this entails is the following:
>>   - use an svn location to host the content of the website. e.g
>> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/tez/site/. If the apex svn dir needs
>> creation, one of the mentors can probably create one within the incubator
>> dir.
>>   - File an INFRA ticket to create the domain entry for “
>> apex.incubator.apache.org” and set up svnpubsub to point to the svn
>> location for the website contents.
>>   - What we additionally do is host the source of truth for the content
>> in git, generate the website as needed from markdown, etc and commit the
>> generated website to the svn location. (
>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/TEZ/Updating+the+Tez+Website )
>>
>> There is gitpubsub support too ( which might be a better approach - this
>> was not available when Tez set up its website ) so the contents could be
>> committed to a git repo and have the website be setup to sync via
>> gitpubsub. I believe Drill is using gitpubsub -
>> https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=drill-site.git;a=summary.
>>
>> thanks
>> — HItesh
>>
>> On Sep 3, 2015, at 2:42 PM, Andy Perlitch <andy@datatorrent.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I created APEX-90 <https://malhar.atlassian.net/browse/APEX-90> to track
>>> progress on the incubator website. Thomas, I read through
>>> http://incubator.apache.org/guides/sites.html, however it is not
>> entirely
>>> clear to me how to "initialize" the podling site. I have a feeling that a
>>> new svn repo needs to be created under
>>> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator, the contents of which will
>>> somehow be pushed to this directory: people.apache.org:/www/
>> apex.apache.org
>>> (currently nonexistent). I am uncertain whether I have the necessary
>>> credentials to create either one of those.
>>>
>>> Chris (or anyone else in the know), can you provide any insight I might
>> be
>>> missing?
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Andy