apex-dev mailing list archives

From Tushar Gosavi <tus...@datatorrent.com>
Subject Writing Streaming application in Scala.
Date Mon, 28 Sep 2015 14:29:39 GMT
Hi All,

I am trying to see how we can write a Streaming Application using Scala
language,
as Scala targets JVM and has good interoperability with Java.

I am able to port simple pi demo in Scala along with the operators. Please
take
a look at PR#40 (https://github.com/apache/incubator-apex-malhar/pull/40)
 for this work, and provide feedback.

Created following operators in Scala
- RandomItemGenerator : Generate random points in 2d space.
- PiCalculator                  : Calculates value of  pi
- ConsoleOutOperator    : Write value of tuple on stdout, I could not use
the Java operator available in Malhar, because scala does more strong type
checking. (I need to look into this more)

And use these operators to write a simple streaming application.

The following functionality is working
- Scala Operators recovers correctly from the crash.
- Scala supports generating setters/getters using @BeanProperty annotation,
and these
  properties become accessible through config file and we can set them
dynamically through dtcli.
- get-operator-properties is working.

Thanks,
-Tushar.