any23-user mailing list archives

From Lewis John Mcgibbney <lewis.mcgibb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Restrictive access rights for `bin' directory
Date Fri, 01 Apr 2016 23:43:39 GMT
Hi Woulter,

On Thu, Mar 31, 2016 at 1:25 PM, <user-digest-help@any23.apache.org> wrote:

> From: Wouter Beek <wouter@triply.cc>
> To: user@any23.apache.org
> Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2016 22:25:41 +0200
> Subject: Restrictive access rights for `bin' directory
> Hi!,
>
> My name is Wouter Beek, I'm principal developer of the LOD Laundromat
> (http:// <http://lodlaundromat.org>lodlaundromat.org) which cleans tens
> of billions of RDF
> statements.  I'm currently using the RDF parsers from SWI-Prolog's
> Semweb library
> (
> http://www.swi-prolog.org/pldoc/doc_for?object=section%28%27packages/semweb.html%27%29
> )
> but I'm of course also very interested in trying out Any23.

Nice

> So... when I download the file `apache-any23-core-1.1.tar.gz' from
> the site I unpack it in my home dir.  First thing I notice is that the
> `bin' directory has very restrictive access rights `d---------.', i.e.,
> it is not possible to run the Any23 CLI tools out-of-the-box.

This is fixed in trunk cf. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ANY23-79
Basically if you work from master branch then it is 'fixed'.

> My questions are twofold:
>   1. Is there any particular reason for these access rights being so
>   strict by default?  Does it not hamper the out-of-the-box experience?

Yes it did. It was an issue with the Maven plugin.. we fixed it

>   2. Should the extra step of changing the access rights to `bin' be
>   mentioned as part of the `README.txt' file?

It should be if it was still an issue.
Thanks for registering the issue here. Please keep us updated on how
lodlaundromat.org goes.
Thanks