any23-user mailing list archives

From Wouter Beek <wou...@triply.cc>
Subject Restrictive access rights for `bin' directory
Date Thu, 31 Mar 2016 20:25:41 GMT
Hi!,

My name is Wouter Beek, I'm principal developer of the LOD Laundromat
(http://lodlaundromat.org) which cleans tens of billions of RDF
statements.  I'm currently using the RDF parsers from SWI-Prolog's
Semweb library
(http://www.swi-prolog.org/pldoc/doc_for?object=section%28%27packages/semweb.html%27%29)
but I'm of course also very interested in trying out Any23.

So... when I download the file `apache-any23-core-1.1.tar.gz' from
the site I unpack it in my home dir.  First thing I notice is that the
`bin' directory has very restrictive access rights `d---------.', i.e.,
it is not possible to run the Any23 CLI tools out-of-the-box.

My questions are twofold:
  1. Is there any particular reason for these access rights being so
  strict by default?  Does it not hamper the out-of-the-box experience?
  2. Should the extra step of changing the access rights to `bin' be
  mentioned as part of the `README.txt' file?

I'm curious to hear you take on this!

--
Cheers,
Wouter Beek.