any23-dev mailing list archives

From lewis john mcgibbney <lewi...@apache.org>
Subject Fwd: HackIllinois 2019 + lewismc
Date Thu, 15 Nov 2018 16:48:11 GMT
Hi Folks,
See below... is anyone interested in working/mentoring a project-related
project here?
Thanks
Lewis

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Misha Patel <misha.patel@hackillinois.org>
Date: Wed, Nov 14, 2018 at 9:09 AM
Subject: HackIllinois 2019 + lewismc
To: <lewis.mcgibbney@gmail.com>
Cc: <opensource@hackillinois.org>

Hi Lewis,

My name is Misha Patel and I am a member of the outreach team for
*HackIllinois*, a 36 hour open source hackathon held at the *University of
Illinois at Urbana-Champaign* from *February 22-24th, 2019*. Last year,
hundreds of students contributed to projects like GulpJS, Conda, and Apache
Mesos. This year, we aim to continue our focus on *open source software.*

Our goal is to have students leave our hackathon with knowledge of how to
create, contribute to, and understand open source software. One of the most
important ways of achieving this goal is through mentor-student
relationships that can help them build the skills required to give back to
the open source community. Guidance from talented developers and
contributors like yourself are what makes this possible.

As a contributor to Apache, we believe you have a very active role in this
community. *We would love for you to be a mentor at this year’s hackathon.*
As a mentor, you would work with a group of students throughout the weekend
to help them contribute to an existing project or create a new one. We
encourage you to *bring your own*, whether it's Apache or any other project
you've worked on, so you can simultaneously help students dive into open
source and get some extra hands working on it!

Please visit blog.hackillinois.org and hackillinois.org/mentor to learn
more about the event and the role you would play. I would be glad to set up
a phone call with you sometime this week if you are interested in learning
more or have any questions about how you can get involved. We look forward
to working with you!

Best,
Misha Patel
HackIllinois 2019 Outreach Team