any23-dev mailing list archives

From Lewis John Mcgibbney <lewis.mcgibb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Move to Git
Date Sat, 09 Mar 2013 21:18:27 GMT
Hi Peter,
Please see my comments inline...

On Tue, Mar 5, 2013 at 11:03 AM, <dev-digest-help@any23.apache.org> wrote:

> Move to Git
>         2454 by: Peter Ansell
>
> The infrastructure team would like the PPMC to confirm that the Git
> repository is an accurate copy of the Subversion directory.
>
> There are quite a few non-standard directories in the Subversion
> repository and we need to confirm that they do not need to be in the
> Git repository.
>
> Some of the directories have been referenced in Jira issues so far:
>
> * /repo/ - ANY23-61
> * /sandbox/ - ANY23-60
> * /repo-ext/ - ANY23-56

We DO NOT need these in the git repos

> The other directories include:
>
> * /site/ : Does svnpubsub use this? [1]

AFAIK yes.

> * /wiki/ : Not sure about where this one is used.

This is legacy and was for Any23 prior to it being proposed to the Apache
Incubator. We DO NOT need this is git

> * /committers/ : Is there another way of keeping this information around?

Unless we pull it in to trunk then no. I think it is good to have this
stuff separated out into its own directory. Is there a problem having this
taken into Git repo?

> Once we decide what is happening to those directories we can start a
> vote to formally confirm that the Git repository is an accurate copy
> of the subversion directories and start using it as the main
> repository.

In principle this sounds great. I'm just not sure how many VOTE's we will
get!!! I am happy to take this forward.

> If necessary, the website directories can be added as separate
> branches in Git which never get merged with the code branches, in the
> same way that on GitHub Project Pages use the "gh-pages" branch to
> publish their websites [2]. Not sure about how svnpubsub would work
> with that if we are using it though.
>
> Neither do I actually.
Another thing which we really need to confirm... how the hell do releases
work? The main pom.xml is hard configured with the following properties
which point to SVN

developerConnection
site.deploymentBaseUrl
any23-repository-external

Once we iron these ones out, we can ask INFRA to make the git repo writable
and push out 0.8.0.

Thanks Peter

Lewis