any23-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Ansell <ansell.pe...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Jenkins Builds
Date Sun, 20 Jan 2013 22:37:18 GMT
On 21 January 2013 03:30, Lewis John Mcgibbney
<lewis.mcgibbney@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> Two questions
> - does anyone know why we seem to be running unstable builds most of the
> time? This may just be Jenkins...

See my other email. Most of our unstable builds that I have
investigated turned out to be transient HTTP errors from the test
sites that we use to verify compatibility with some real world
applications. It shouldn't be too difficult to setup a Jetty web
server for integration tests.

> - does anyone know why the builds attempt iteratively to build various
> modules?

The integration tests are performed in a slightly strange manner, that
may have been necessary in the past, but I don't think is necessary
with Maven-2.2+ or Maven-3.0+. They are performed using the
maven-invoker-plugin that boots up a separate copy of maven using a
different pom.xml file as the base file for the reactor on the
separate copy. This may cause maven to attempt to build things
multiple times.

Jenkins on the other hand, may be setup to run the build and ignore
failures until the end of the build, which will attempt to compile
apache-any23-core, even though apache-any23-mime failed to build. That
failure to build apache-any23-mime successfully may mean that it was
not deployed, and the apache-any23-core build may be using an out of
date copy.

I managed to get the apache-any23-mime tests to fail on my machine
using your combined patches, where it doesn't fail on my tika-1.2 or
spi-extractors branches separately. I will investigate what parts of
the patch are missing that should still be there and hopefully get a
patch for it today.

Cheers,

Peter