any23-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Ansell <ansell.pe...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Stripping the CLI tools out from core APIs
Date Wed, 19 Sep 2012 20:08:59 GMT
Hi Simone,

In my github repository I had split out the CLI and the extractors in
addition to what has already been split out. The extractors will be
harder than the CLI to split out from my experience. If you want to
look at what my old set of patches resulted in, you can see them at
[1]. The actual git commits won't be much use as I have not rebased
them on the current trunk, but you could browse the code to see which
classes ended up where.

The main reason that I went through the splitting process was that I
wanted to reduce the number of dependencies for my projects that are
reusing the mime and encoding modules. The dependency on tika is much
clearer in that case, and then it is just a case of using maven to
prune off the tika dependencies that are not needed for each project.

Once we get to the point where there are not any more logical modules,
or they wouldn't be useful on their own, we may want to rename the
core module to "utils" or something like that.

I am going on holidays for a few weeks so feel free to start on
changes in the meantime.

Thanks for fixing up the formatting and license headers by the way. I
will try to be more vigilant in the future to get it right the first
time.

Cheers,

Peter

[1] https://github.com/ansell/any23/tree/oldpatches