ant-user mailing list archives

From "Miller, Gerald" <Gerald.Mil...@Vistronix.com>
Subject RE: Silent errors
Date Thu, 24 Apr 2014 13:43:45 GMT
Sorry for the incomplete sentences.  It's hard to see what I've typed, especially when every
application uses slightly dark fonts on a slightly lighter background, so by the time I get
to the end of a long sentence, it sometimes sounds rambling.  Anyway, what I meant to say
is that when I asked other people about this problem, they had no more clue than I did, which
makes me feel better that I'm not the only one who doesn't find it intuitive.

-----Original Message-----
From: Miller, Gerald [mailto:Gerald.Miller@Vistronix.com]
Sent: Thursday, April 24, 2014 9:36 AM
To: user@ant.apache.org
Subject: Silent errors

It turns out I'm not the only one here who simply modifies existing build files, although
I have managed to exclude descendants of an included fileset dir attribute.  When I asked
why a non-existent Main-Class value wouldn't generate an error and, at least on one installation,
still allow the correct one (and others not mentioned) to be accessed by their correct names.
 This lack of error messages, in contrast to compilers that warn about the most trivial things,
doesn't help with diagnosing why one workspace is able to build a valid jar, while another
while a copy possibly using different versions of Eclipse and Ant produces a jar that can't
find the main class.  There are all kinds of threads about this problem, all with different
suggestions.  I could spend a lot of time trying them if I were so inclined, but most of their
examples don't even resemble my build file.  Any idea if this is a red herring or not?  Thanks.

This communication, along with its attachments, is considered confidential and proprietary
to Vistronix.  It is intended only for the use of the person(s) named above.  Note that unauthorized
disclosure or distribution of information not generally known to the public is strictly prohibited.
 If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately.