ant-user mailing list archives

From Andy Stevens <insomniacpeng...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: run XSLT on filelist
Date Thu, 31 May 2012 08:56:06 GMT
Hi Mark,

On 29/05/12 23:37, Mark Giffin wrote:
> I'm making a single PDF out of a group of XML documentation files.
> It's an API reference document and the items will be alphabetized so
> input order doesn't matter.
>
> I want to use a fileset of XML files as input to an XSLT script,
> something like this:
>
> <fileset dir="${src.dir}" id="all.docs">
> <include name="*.xml"/>
> </fileset>
> I have been accomplishing this in the past with a manually-maintained
> XML file like this:
>
> <docroot>
> <root href="myfile1.xml" />
> <root href="myfile2.xml" />
> <root href="myfile3.xml" />
> <root href="myfile4.xml" />
> <!-- etc. -->
> </root>
>
> Right now I pass in the file above to the XSLT processor like this:
>
> <target name="xslt-fo" description="XML to XSL-FO">
> <echo>Output FO...</echo>
> <java jar="${jar.saxon}" fork="true" failonerror="true" maxmemory="256m">
> <arg line="-w2"/>
> <!-- output filename -->
> <arg line="-o output.fo"/>
> <!-- list of input xml files -->
> <arg value="..\all-docs.xml"/>
> <!-- XSLT stylesheet to make XSL-FO -->
> <arg value="${xslt.fo}"/>
> </java>
> </target>
>
> But I'd like to automate it. Is there a way to pass in a fileset instead?

I did something a bit like this recently.  How about

<path id="path.all.docs">
<fileset refid="all.docs"/>
</path>
<property name="pathstring.all.docs" refid="path.all.docs"/>
<xslt in="${basedir}/build.xml" out="output.fo" style="${xslt.fo}
force="true">
<param name="files" expression="${pathstring.all.docs}"/>
<param name="pathseparator" expression="${path.separator}"/>
</xslt>

or whatever your saxon equivalent is.  Actually, it's possible to have
<xslt> use saxon as its processor, but I don't know offhand how to
configure things for that.
The in="${basedir}/build.xml" is just to give it something to trigger
the root xsl:template, the XSLT can then use the supplied xsl:param
values to tokenise the path, loop over the individual files and load
them with document() for processing (I'm guessing you currently do
something similar with your <root> entries).
The force="true" is because the build.xml rarely changes, so by default
the template wouldn't be re-run when the XML files change.  You'll
probably want to combine it with an <uptodate> check on the fileset &
XSLT file, though, to avoid running it again when the XML files haven't
changed.

Hope this helps,

Andy.
--