ant-user mailing list archives

From Bruce Atherton <>
Subject Re: live view of the file contents
Date Wed, 04 Jan 2012 16:32:37 GMT
On 04/01/2012 1:33 AM, Raja Nagendra Kumar wrote:
> If we like to open the log file after tomcat starting.. what is the best way
> to see the content coming in dos console... as and when some thing is
> written to log file..

I don't think there is a way to do this strictly with Ant tasks (I would
have expected it in the concat task or the tail filter), but from the
command line of a Unix system you use:

     tail -f file.log

If you wanted Ant to do that for some reason, you could stick that
command in an exec task or use a script to accomplish the same thing. It
is a bad idea, though, because it leaves Ant running forever just to
watch a log file, and the combination of Java and Ant is quite large.
You are better off running the "tail -f" command by itself, from outside
of Ant. Perhaps started in a batch file that has previously run Ant.

For Windows, you could install cygwin to get the same program. Or google
for other tail programs that have the follow feature.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message