ant-user mailing list archives

From Rhino <rhi...@sympatico.ca>
Subject General Concept Question
Date Mon, 31 Oct 2011 16:55:13 GMT

  Is there a fundamental concept in Ant that says, in effect, a file
should not be edited during a build because only the original version
will ever be seen by the tasks in the build?

I have an Ant script that changes the value of some constants in a
constants file that is used later by a Java program. The edits are
pretty trivial in nature - three booleans get set to false instead of
their normal value of true - and then the Java program which uses them
is supposed to change its behavior according to the new values of the
booleans. But even though I am sure the edits are being done and that
the .java files are only compiled after the edits have been completed,
the Java program continues to see the booleans as true, even when they
are not.

Is Ant refusing to compile/use the edited version of the constants file
because it is being edited during the build? I know that Ant variables
are immutable but I thought that it should be possible to edit a file
within a script and then used the edited version of the file later in
the script.

If, in fact, the files that Ant is using are also immutable, what is the
scope of that immutablility? I'm wondering if I could make two scripts -
one to edit the constants file and one to use the edited constants file
- both initiated by some kind of Master script that runs the editing
script first, then the script that uses the edited file. Or is there a
better approach?

I'm using Ant 1.8.2 in Eclipse 3.7 on Windows XP SP2.
--
Rhino