ant-user mailing list archives

From Dominique Devienne <ddevie...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Are multiple targets run in order, or in parallel?
Date Tue, 09 Aug 2011 14:16:19 GMT
On Mon, Aug 8, 2011 at 12:33 PM, Echlin, Robert
<Robert.Echlin@windriver.com> wrote:
> Hi guys,
> Thanks, Dominique, for the reminder about order of execution being dependent on dependencies.
> I remember that about dependencies declared in a target.
> I am surprised that there isn't a line in the "Running Ant" page referring to the targets
page if the same ordering information applies.

> No, I don't know what executors are.

See 3rd entry in http://ant.apache.org/manual/running.html#sysprops

It allows you to change the way (like the order or parallelism)
targets are executed, to be parallel for example (here's one Google
found for http://code.google.com/p/parallel-ant/source/browse/trunk/src/java/org/codeaholics/tools/build/pant/ParallelExecutor.java?r=5).
It dependencies are stated correctly, a target shouldn't care which
order its dependencies are executed in, as long as they are satisfied.
I remember another executor that generated a "virtual" target than
depends on all targets on the CLI to avoid running their dependencies
multiple times for example.

> Unrelated: Reading the "targets" docs page just now told me of a new feature called "extension
points", which sounds valuable.

It's fairly new. Was driven mainly by the EasyAnt authors.

> My concern is that it takes several seconds to run, so it could kill the first link catalog,
(or maybe parts of it?) and I might not know.

There's no implicit parallelism in stock Ant, so they won't step on
each other's toes. --DD