ant-user mailing list archives

From Steve Amerige <Steve.Amer...@sas.com>
Subject Re: Syntax for Names: target, property, macrodef, etc.
Date Thu, 30 Jun 2011 13:51:28 GMT
Hi Dominique,

Thanks for the info.  And, also thanks for the specific example of the leading "-" character.

Because Ant has only a global namespace for property names (and other names like macrodef,
etc.), and for the case that a particular
ant script inherits properties from the caller, I'm adopting a convention that will help us
know whether a particular name is local
to the being-called ant script.  In particular, I'm favoring the convention that "local" names
begin with a dot.  We guarantee that
the caller never has defined any names that begin with a dot, so there is never a problem
with conflicts.  I had considered both the
"-" and the "." as a leading character to indicate the name is local.  But, you've given a
good reason to avoid "-".  Thanks!

Enjoy,
Steve Amerige
SAS Institute, Deployment Software Developer