ant-user mailing list archives

From Gilbert Rebhan <gil...@maksimo.de>
Subject Re: exec (and apply) tasks cut off the output
Date Wed, 19 Jan 2011 20:03:36 GMT
-------- Original Message  --------
Subject: exec (and apply) tasks cut off the output
From: Hudson <hudson@2enter.net>
To: user@ant.apache.org <user@ant.apache.org>
Date: Wed Jan 19 2011 15:10:39 GMT+0100 (CET)

> Hello,
>
> I try to build my project with the following ant statement.
> <exec executable="devenv.com" failonerror="false"
> 	resultproperty="buildresult">
> 	<arg value="@{testsolution}" />
> 	<arg value="/build" />
> 	<arg value="Debug" />
> 	<arg value="/project" />
> 	<arg value="@{project}" />
> </exec>
>
> There are some lines missing in the output from time to time (~50%).

To make sure to get all output from a excutable use resultproperty (rc),
outputproperty (stdout) and errorproperty (stderror) and then write all
that properties to ant log with <echo>.

Note, that for whatever reason some executables write stuff to stderr
even if there's no error, f.e. cleartool.exe etc. .. so IMO it's always
good to catch all channels.

Also i recommend to use failonerror=true, combined with some try catch
construct , see [1]

Sometimes one has to do even more, f.e if using <exec> with psexec
from Sysinternals on windows to call a remote executable you have to
redirect stdout and stderror to a file and load that file as property
again to get all output from the called executable :
someExecutable > your.log 2>&1
whereas the returncode comes back to the calling ant script.

Finally you should use loglevel debug to get more information,
setloglevel task recommended, see [2] =

<setloglevel level="debug"/>

<exec executable="devenv.com" failonerror="false"
  resultproperty="buildresult">
  <arg value="@{testsolution}" />
  <arg value="/build" />
  <arg value="Debug" />
> <arg value="/project" />
  <arg value="@{project}" />
</exec>

<setloglevel level="info"/>

also possible to use the normal ant -debug -f yourfile.xml

Regards, Gilbert

[1] flaka
http://code.google.com/p/flaka/
http://flaka.googlecode.com/files/flaka.pdf