ant-user mailing list archives

From Stephen Connolly <stephen.alan.conno...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Getting task class *only* from specified path
Date Tue, 02 Nov 2010 00:27:18 GMT
The maven-shade-plugin (yes, yes, peter, I know it's maven and this is the
ANT list) is used to take jar files and reprocess them. You can relocate
packages, as well as mask class names. The main use-cases are:

1. Bundling your dependencies to produce an uber jar which will be safe in
the presence of other versions of its dependencies. Eg what is done in
maven-ant-tasks; and animalsniffer-ant-tasks where I shaded ASM so that
another version will not cause class loader issues

2. Hiding the implementation classes of an API by moving the non-contract to
a random package name every build, thus preventing people relying on private
classes that haber to be public (OSGi removes the need for this if you have
an OSGi container handy)

Hope that helps.

- Stephen

P.S. Books