ant-user mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: status of org.apache.tools.{bzip2,tar}
Date Fri, 08 Oct 2010 12:25:50 GMT
On 2010-10-08, Ximin Luo wrote:

> We're currently using the bzip2/tar libraries from org.apache.tools in our
> project, but I've just come across the org.apache.commons.compress library,
> which seems to contain pretty much the same code.

commons-compress also contains code for CPIO and AR.

> Which version is newer, or more actively maintained?

I am a committer to both projects and merge bug fixes and features that
would be useful to Ant from commons-compress.  So for zip, bzip2 and tar
they are more or less the same, but commons-compress is definitively
more active and has shorter release cycles.

In at least one case I've told a person filing a bug report against
Ant's classes to use commons-compress instead.  The classes that ship as
part of Ant have never been designed for any usecase other than what Ant
needed.

Stefan