ant-user mailing list archives

From Shawn Castrianni <Shawn.Castria...@halliburton.com>
Subject RE: Bootstrap script, fetch prerequisites
Date Thu, 29 Jul 2010 21:27:15 GMT
Yes, from svnkit, is a jar that you can run with "java -jar" that is equivalent to an svn command
line client.

IVY, yes I would highly recommend it!  I have it supporting 5 different platforms with both
java and native code, 400 developers, 120 modules, 20 releases, etc.  I worked with the author
Xavier Hanin to add more features for my use cases and so far it can do everything that I
need.  Development is looking into OSGI which may conflict with IVY, not sure yet.

---
Shawn Castrianni

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Ludwig [mailto:milu71@gmx.de]
Sent: Thursday, July 29, 2010 4:18 PM
To: Ant Users List
Subject: Re: Bootstrap script, fetch prerequisites

Shawn Castrianni schrieb am 29.07.2010 um 09:37 (-0500):
> I use ant, svn, and ivy to handle this issue as well as for a
> generalized dependency mechanism.  Originally, my ant launcher script
> didn't do much more than configure a few env variables and launch ant.
> But just like you, I needed a way to provide my users with updates.
> I chose to use svn.

My choice, too. SVN to update the Ant script. But not external
properties. I tend to think that what is maintained externally should
not be cut off from its source; so better keep in touch with upstream
versions and bugfixes instead of hardcoding your dependency to some
version that will sooner or later be a legacy version.

> I use the java svn command line client (so that it works on all
> platforms) that is also checked into the ant build system sandbox.

SVNKit?

> ivy is then used for all other kind of dependencies for the actual
> building of source code.

Would you recommend it?

Thanks for your input!
--