ant-user mailing list archives

From Shawn Castrianni <Shawn.Castria...@halliburton.com>
Subject RE: Bootstrap script, fetch prerequisites
Date Thu, 29 Jul 2010 14:37:36 GMT

ivy is then used for all other kind of dependencies for the actual building of source code.

---
Shawn Castrianni

-----Original Message-----
From: Dominique Devienne [mailto:ddevienne@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, July 29, 2010 8:42 AM
To: Ant Users List
Subject: Re: Bootstrap script, fetch prerequisites

On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 3:18 AM, Ludwig, Michael
<Michael.Ludwig@delphi-mb.de> wrote:
> What's the best way to bootstrap an Ant script installation? [...]
> (One thing I personally dislike is checking JARs into your version control system, [...]

Well, Ant has no built-in bootstrap mechanism.

Build scripts are typically under version control, but they might use
support files
(typically imported) from other modules of the VCS, and they might use
JARs downloaded
from somewhere or under VCS themselves. If you run checks to verify
for new versions of
files/JARs implicitly on every build, you run the risk of slowing down
all builds, and surprising
your users for changes they didn't want, so I find it nicer to have an
explicit target(s) to do the
checking and updating explicitly. But even that can fail, especially
on Windows, since you can't
update JARs ANT is currently using, and you can't easily force ANT to
use a new version of a
JAR that was just updated.

I believe that bootstrapping is possible, but I think it would require
changes in Ant to possibly
restart a new VM using new JARs for example, or at least rerun itself
into a completely different
class loader (and a way to update JARs already in use on Windows).
Didn't do it myself. --DD