ant-user mailing list archives

From Shawn Castrianni <Shawn.Castria...@halliburton.com>
Subject RE: Ant 1.8 unzip does not preserve permissions!
Date Thu, 01 Jul 2010 16:29:14 GMT
What I do is use the exec task and use the tar command.  In order to make it cross platform,
I use bsdtar which I was able to find a version for all of our supported platforms.  The bsdtar
command has compression support so the generated tar both preserves the file permissions AND
is compressed like zip would be.

---
Shawn Castrianni

-----Original Message-----
From: John W. Lewis [mailto:JohnW.Lewis@sas.com]
Sent: Thursday, July 01, 2010 7:44 AM
To: Ant Users List
Subject: RE: Ant 1.8 unzip does not preserve permissions!

<chmod> may be helpful.

http://ant.apache.org/manual/Tasks/chmod.html

-----Original Message-----
From: Stefan Bodewig [mailto:bodewig@apache.org]
Sent: Thursday, July 01, 2010 8:30 AM
To: user@ant.apache.org

On 2010-07-01, ilke Muhtaroglu wrote:

> When I unzip with ant command

> <unzip src="${app.server.zip.name}" dest="${ext.work.dir}" />

> I see the resulting directory does not have the permissions preserved in
> linux environment.

This is true.  The unzip task doesn't do anything with permissions and
the manual page even says so

,----
`----

> At http://ant.apache.org/manual/Tasks/zip.html I see there is an option
> "preserve0permissions"...

It is the zip task, not the unzip task.  And it applies to permissions
read from a different archive when you use the zip task to
repackage/merge archives.

Ant is capable of dealing with permissions inside ZIP and TAR archives
but not on the file system.  The latter isn't going to change until the
tasks can run on NIO2 and Java7 because the Java File API currently
simply doesn't provide the means we'd need.

Stefan