ant-user mailing list archives

From Matt Benson <gudnabr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Ant: want to copy a file if it exists
Date Fri, 30 Jul 2010 14:39:28 GMT

On Jul 30, 2010, at 8:42 AM, Martin Gainty wrote:

> A great question!
> i found 2 items that may help:
>
> 1)Javadoc for an Ant Resource:
> http://www.docjar.com/docs/api/org/apache/tools/ant/types/
> Resource.html

This does communicate the basic idea that a Resource is *like* a File.

> 2)The folks at Simon Fraser put together this user-friendly
> explanation
> http://www.sfu.ca/cprost/docs/A%20Brief%20Overview%20of%20ANT.pdf

Okay, this link has nothing to do with Apache Ant.  :)

> the way I classify a resource is any entity which is not a Java class
> so an (ant) java class can be configured by a resource specifically
> .properties
>
> or a resource which is used to describe schema could be described
> and defined by a resource specifically:
> xml/xsd
>
> or documents with or without associated view programmes described
> by a resource specifically:
> pdf/doc
>
> anyone?

Have you read http://ant.apache.org/manual/Types/resources.html ?
The description of a resourcecollection is on the same page.  So to
put it simply, if you use a fileset you _are_ using a
resourcecollection.  About the only thing you could use
resourcecollections for might be to <restrict> a bunch of atomically-
by virtue of the fact that it discovers files by scanning the
filesystem and thus _only_ contains files that exist, more or less
does this for you.  Finally, in the case of the copy task, ask
yourself:  How would you copy a resource that doesn't exist?  By
creating a destination file that doesn't exist?  That's crazy
talk!  :)  So copy simply ignores nonexistent resources.  In this
particular example your job of only copying a file that exists has
been done for you first by <fileset> and then by <copy>.  You should
be covered.  :)

HTH,
Matt