ant-user mailing list archives

From "Ludwig, Michael" <Michael.Lud...@delphi-mb.de>
Subject Bootstrap script, fetch prerequisites
Date Thu, 29 Jul 2010 08:18:41 GMT
What's the best way to bootstrap an Ant script installation?

Say you're going to introduce an Ant script to automate tasks in
dev environment, and you're going to add new functionality as you
go, possibly modifying the script a lot, and introducing various
dependencies along the road, like JARs, new tasks and whatnot.

Say have a bunch of users of your script who can't be bothered to
download those dependencies manually, and you want to automate the
process whereby they bootstrap their installation, and also update
it when more functionality becomes available, like, say, a new
target "doc-pdf" requiring some library to generate documentation
in PDF.

I'd imagine targets like in a UNIX package manager:

  ant self-check
  ant self-update
  ant self-upgrade

This should download the required JARs and place them in some
suitable directory, possibly ~/.ant/lib.

I know Maven does this sort of dependency management, but our
choice is Ant.

What's the best or most standard or your preferred way of doing
this?

What about Ivy? Does it work for that kind of stuff? Not too
complex?

(One thing I personally dislike is checking JARs into your version
control system, so that's not exactly the solution path I'm most
interested in. I can see why people may choose to go there, I just
don't want to follow that path myself.)

--
Michael Ludwig