ant-user mailing list archives

From Michael Ludwig <mil...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: Bootstrap script, fetch prerequisites
Date Thu, 29 Jul 2010 21:17:53 GMT
Shawn Castrianni schrieb am 29.07.2010 um 09:37 (-0500):
> I use ant, svn, and ivy to handle this issue as well as for a
> generalized dependency mechanism.  Originally, my ant launcher script
> didn't do much more than configure a few env variables and launch ant.
> But just like you, I needed a way to provide my users with updates.
> I chose to use svn.

My choice, too. SVN to update the Ant script. But not external
properties. I tend to think that what is maintained externally should
not be cut off from its source; so better keep in touch with upstream
versions and bugfixes instead of hardcoding your dependency to some
version that will sooner or later be a legacy version.

> I use the java svn command line client (so that it works on all
> platforms) that is also checked into the ant build system sandbox.

SVNKit?

> ivy is then used for all other kind of dependencies for the actual
> building of source code.

Would you recommend it?

Thanks for your input!
--