ant-user mailing list archives

From Michael Ludwig <mil...@gmx.de>
Subject Augment task and use cases
Date Thu, 01 Jul 2010 14:52:12 GMT
I'm wondering about the design of the Augment task, which uses
augment/@id instead of augment/@refid to refer to an existing
resource. To draw on the example from the manual:

          \,,,/
          (o o)
------oOOo-(_)-oOOo------
Given

  <fileset id="input-fs" dir="${basedir}" />

  <augment id="input-fs" excludes="foo" />

Modifies the excludes attribute of input-fs.

  <augment id="input-fs">
    <filename name="bar" />
  </augment>

Adds a filename selector to input-fs.
-------------------------

But how is this supposed to be used? A couple of times, I saw <augment>
nested inside <sequential>. Still, I'm getting errors such as:

* pathconvert doesn't support the nested "augment" element.
* pathconvert doesn't support the nested "sequential" element.
* fileset doesn't support the nested "augment" element.

Wouldn't it be nicer to have <augment>, which is still young and
flexible, have augment/@refid to refer to an existing reference, and
augment/@id to present an ID of its own so it can be referred to by
other tasks?

Or is there something obvious that I'm overlooking?
--
Michael Ludwig