ant-user mailing list archives

From Martin Gainty <>
Subject RE: Ant 1.7.1, Xalan and Java 1.6.0_17
Date Fri, 07 May 2010 14:28:45 GMT

i downloaded xalan 2.7.1 and discovered these specifications displayed in /META-INF/

Manifest-Version: 1.0
Created-By: 1.3.1 (IBM Corporation)
Main-Class: org.apache.xalan.xslt.Process
Class-Path: xercesImpl.jar xml-apis.jar serializer.jar

Name: org/apache/xalan/
Comment: Main Xalan engine implementing TrAX/JAXP
Specification-Title: Java API for XML Processing
Specification-Vendor: Sun Microsystems Inc.
Specification-Version: 1.3
Implementation-Title: org.apache.xalan
Implementation-Version: 2.7.1
Implementation-Vendor: Apache Software Foundation

Name: org/apache/xml/
Comment: DTM implementation and utilities
Implementation-Title: org.apache.xml
Implementation-Version: 2.7.1
Implementation-Vendor: Apache Software Foundation

Name: org/apache/xpath/
Comment: XPath engine
Implementation-Title: org.apache.xpath
Implementation-Version: 2.7.1
Implementation-Vendor: Apache Software Foundation

Created-By: 1.3.1 (IBM Corporation) --Created-By defines the version and the vendor of the
java implementation on top
of which this manifest file is generated. --This attribute is generated by
the jar tool.

Specification-Version: 1.3  --This attribute specifies the minimum extension specification
that is required by the applet. The Java Plug-in will  compare the --value
of this attribute with the Specification-Version attribute of the installed
extension to determine if the extension is up to date.

--and the applicable release notes for xalan 2.7.1
Xalan-Java 2.7.1 was released in August 2007.

      The serializer now has support for DOM Level 3 serialization
      for an XML parser. These changes are seen in the new class
      and the new package
      as well as a new method,
      asDOM3Serializer() on the older
      org.apache.xml.serializer.Serializer interface.

      More details are in the javadoc of those classes and interfaces.

    The distributions contain upgraded versions of xercesImpl.jar
    (Xerces-J 2.9.0) and  xml-apis.jar (XML Commons External 1.3.04).
    The distributions were tested with these versions of Xerces-J
    and XML Commons External and are the recommended versions to use with
    the release.

      Important: You may experience unpredictable anomalies
      if your Xalan-Java and Xerces-Java builds are not in synch.

so the only possible discontinuity i see is a possible version mismatch in the dependency
tree e.g.
xalan-version (2.7.1) != xercesImpl-version (2.9.0) != xml-commons-external (1.3.04)

are there any testcases we can run which will identify the version mismatch
Verzicht und Vertraulichkeitanmerkung