ant-user mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: ANT 1.7.1 property evaluation
Date Mon, 03 May 2010 03:54:16 GMT
On 2010-04-30, Shawn Castrianni <Shawn.Castrianni@halliburton.com> wrote:

> I have never needed to know the answer to this before, but:

> Is it the custom ant task's responsibility to evaluate ant properties
> if passed to them OR does ANT evaluate these before passing it to the
> custom ant task?

Ant evaluates properties for attributes but it is the task's
responsibility to expand them for nested text of elements.  In you case
the values are given as nested text so the task must evaluate them
explicitly.

It would have been better if Ant had been handling attributes and nested
text the same way but unfortunately we got it wrong ten years ago and
now have to live with it in order to stay backwards compatible.

Stefan