ant-user mailing list archives

From Daniel Becroft <djcbecr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: `ant -find build.xml` and compile/recompile
Date Sun, 11 Apr 2010 22:07:21 GMT
On Sun, Apr 11, 2010 at 1:53 PM, Tim Visher <tim.visher@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Everyone,
>
> With `basedir="."`, how is `ant -find` supposed to work?  With it set
> to `/absolute/path/to/build.xml`, how is the build script supposed to
> be box independent?
>
> We use ant to build our system and I would like to be able to use `ant
> -find` to allow myself (and Emacs) to build the system from any
> subdirectory.  Currently, we build from the command line and always
> need to be in the directory that houses build.xml.  The reason is that
> we have relative paths littered all over the build script in order to
> package things up and move them around.  I can't figure out how to get
> around this.  It also leads me to wonder why `-find` is even available
> if the only way it can be used is if all of your paths are absolute
> (which is not on anyone's best practices list).

We don't use 'ant -find' for our builds, but we do have pseudo-relative
paths throughout our build script. We achieved this by putting the build.xml
file at the root of the folder structure, and then using the following:

<dirname property="base.dir" file="${ant.file}" />

This sets the base.dir property to the directory containing the build.xml
file (or whatever build file is used). All of our paths are then specified
as "${base.dir}/foo", and "${base.dir}/foo/bar". I'm not sure if this would
still work using the "ant -find" command. (I'm not at work atm, but will
check when I get in).

I'm cross posting this between Emacs and Ant.  In your reply please
> attach to both as I couldn't find a relevant thread in either list via
> the archives.  Of course, that could have been my fault, in which case
> it'd be awesome to cross post with a link to the solution. :)

Sorry, I believe it's base practice to cross-post between mailing lists.
Besides, this is an Apache Ant question, not an Emacs question.

Cheers,
Daniel B.