ant-user mailing list archives

From Shawn Castrianni <Shawn.Castria...@halliburton.com>
Subject ANT 1.7.1 property evaluation
Date Fri, 30 Apr 2010 17:25:35 GMT
I am messing with IA2009 which comes with a custom ant task in their iaant.jar.  This custom
ant task will execute an Install Anywhere build from ant.  The IA2008 ant task works fine,
but they changed it for IA2009.  The new one seems to use nested ant task elements called
<configuration>.  Within this nested ant task elements, are sub elements that use plain
text arguments instead of xml attributes.  For example:

<configuration>
                <option1>value</option1>
                <option2>value</option2>
</configuration>

My problem is that if I specify an ant property for these values:

<option1>${option1Value}</option1>
<option2>${option2Value}</option2>

they are passed directly to the custom IA2009 ant task WITHOUT being evaluated by ANT first.
 I have never needed to know the answer to this before, but:

Is it the custom ant task's responsibility to evaluate ant properties if passed to them OR
does ANT evaluate these before passing it to the custom ant task?

I decompiled the ant task code and the class that handles the option sub elements just consumes
the text as a plain String and does NOT assume it is an ant property that needs evaluating.
 Is that a mistake on their part?

---
Shawn Castrianni

and delete all copies of this message.