ant-user mailing list archives

From Kaushal Shriyan <kaushalshri...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat Client Deployer
Date Sat, 06 Mar 2010 08:21:33 GMT
On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 6:41 PM, Antoine Levy Lambert <antoine@gmx.de> wrote:
> Hello Kaushal,
>
> the easiest is to install ant on the remote host and kick off ant remotely,
> maybe from another ant process.
>
> ant can do all what you want (backing up, copying, deleting, ...). Just open
> the manual.
>
> Maybe develop/test your deployment script on the server where tomcat is
> running first.
>
> When you get it to do what you want, start invoking it remotely.
>
> If the remote invocation is from ant, you can do it using the <sshexec/>
> task.
>
> If you need to pass parameters to the deployment scripts running on the
> tomcat host, then use -D on the command line
>
> for instance you can do something like
>
> <sshexec host="tomcat.host" .... command=". ~/.profile; /opt/ant/bin/ant -f
> deploy.xml -Dtomcat.warfile=/tmp/abc.war"/>
>
> (complete the password or identity file attributes of sshexec as
> appropriate).
>
> Regards,
>
> Antoine
>

> Kaushal Shriyan wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 10:55 AM, Kaushal Shriyan
>> <kaushalshriyan@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Thanks Antoine :)
>>>

>> Hi,
>>
>> We face issues whenever we deploy application using tomcat manager we
>> used to face the situation where new
>> changes were not reflected. On stopping, cleaning work folder and
>> starting tomcat again application used to get deployed properly. But
>> to restart and clean we need to ssh again on the machine where we want
>> to deploy defeating our main purpose.
>>
>> Also one more issue we have faced is we are not able to locate the new
>> war file where Tomcat manager has deployed it
>>
>> We need to have a tool that does the following on specified remote hosts
>>
>> 1. stop the tomcat
>> 2. back up the existing war
>> 3. remove existing wars and folders and copy the new war
>> 4. start the tomcat again
>>
>> Are the above steps possible using ant or is there a better and
>> efficient way to do it ?
>>
>> Please suggest/guide.
>>
>> Thanks and Regards,
>>
>> Kaushal

Hi again,

I have couple of questions:

<target name="stop-tomcat">
 <!-- Executes remote command via ssh -->
 <sshexec host="host0072.example.com" username="kaushal"
password="xxxxxx" trust="true"
          command="sudo /etc/init.d/tomcat0 start" />
 </target>

the password field is exposed here. is there a way to secure it. ?

Also when i run the command ant -lib lib/ stop-tomcat the string
"command="sudo /etc/init.d/tomcat start"" asks for password
again on the stdout. is there a way to handle this condition since i
need to start tomcat server as tomcat user.

Thanks and Regards,

Kaushal