ant-user mailing list archives

From Ziggy <zigg...@gmail.com>
Subject Deploy without recompile
Date Mon, 09 Nov 2009 12:19:50 GMT
Hi all,

I've got a query on the way web applications are deployed. I have an
application that has several jsp files and serlvets that are in
WEB-INF/classes.

When i deploy the application all i do is do a checkout on CVS, make the
changes, rebuild the war using ANT and redeploy manually. This works fine
but now i am having some doubts on this approach.

Basicaly if i even change one file i have to rebuild the war file meaning i
have to recompile everything. I think this is unecessary. i would like to be
able to just recompile the one file and redeploy the one file without having
to rebuild the whole war file.

1. How do you deploy your application? If you deploy as a war file, do you
recompile everything even if the change is to a single file or a
configuration file.

2. Could you provide an example on the approach you use from the point a
source file comes out from CVS to the point it get to the production
environment. (An example with a single file change would be usefull)

2. Is it possible to use ANT to repackage the war file without recompiling
the source files?

I am thinking that if i change one file i should be able to just compile
that one file and move it to the WEB-INF/classes folder into the relevant
folder. This might work but is there a better way of doing this instead of
moving it manually?

Thanks