ant-user mailing list archives

From David Weintraub <qazw...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Newbie Question: Installation Issues
Date Wed, 07 Oct 2009 21:48:25 GMT
Ant is a Java program, so you need the Java JDK installed. All you need to
do is this:

   1. Set the JAVA_HOME environment variable to point to your JDK location.
   (Hint, install the Java JDK directly under the root of your local drive
   (like C:\JDK-1.6) and not the default location (C:\Program
   Files\Java\JDK-1.6 or whatever). This avoids a space in the path of your
   javac and java commands.
   2. Unzip Ant into a directory (I recommend again the root of your
   localdrive like C:\Ant. This is to avoid the space in the pathname issue.
   3. Set the ANT_HOME environment variable to point to your Ant
   installation directory.
   4. Put ANT_HOME\bin under your PATH environment variable. There's an
   "ant.bat" file in there that will run ant. You can copy this to the
   C:\Windows\System32 directory, but if you do, you must have ANT_HOME set as
   an environment variable.

Now, when you're in a console window and type "ant", it'll execute ant.

In some ways, it's a bit more complex than the self installed "one click"
packages, but in other ways, it's a lot simpler. All of Ant is in your Ant
directory. You can move it or delete it, without worrying about registry
corruption.