ant-user mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Performance of Ant <antcall>
Date Fri, 02 Oct 2009 08:04:43 GMT
On 2009-10-02, Raja Nagendra Kumar <Nagendra.Raja@tejasoft.com> wrote:

> This could be one workaround due to lack of straight approach to call the
> target.
> I am surprised why such a thing did not exist from day one.. Pl. let me know
> if this approach has any ant design related issues.

Any ability to call directly makes the build file more procedural.  The
depends attribute is declarative.  Ant's goal is to be declarative in
nature.

I will note that the ant-contrib project provides a task to invoke a
target.

If you find yourself calling targets with different parameters it
usually really means you need some sort of task that doesn't exist.
macrodef is a way to write a task in Ant instead of a real programming
language.

Stefan