ant-user mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Java source files not part of any package
Date Wed, 28 Oct 2009 10:51:52 GMT
Dianne Yumul wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> I'm learning to use Ant 1.7.0 as part of Xcode 3.1.2 on Mac OS X 10.6.
> We have a separate directory called Common/ where we keep common java
> source files. These files need to get included, not all at the same time
> though, when compiling our Java applications.  What would be the best
> way to do this?
>
> If I add Common/ to srcdir, it compiles everything inside when I only
> need a one or two.  The FAQ mentions that "If you have Java source files
> that aren't declared to be part of any package, you can still use the
> <javac> task to compile these files correctly - just set the srcdir and
> destdir attributes to the actual directory the source files live in and
> the directory the class files should go into, respectively."  But how to
> do this exactly? Do I need two separate javac tasks like the following?
>
> <javac srcdir="../../../Common/src" destdir="../../../Common/bin"
> classpathref="lib.path" debug="on"/>
> <javac srcdir="src" destdir="bin" classpathref="lib.path" debug="on"/>

that's not going to help, ant will still compile everything in common/

Two options

* <copy> only the files you need to somewhere (like build/src and
include that in the compile

* use the nested <fileset file> elements in <src> inside javac

<property name="common.dir" location="../../../Common" />

<javac destdir="${build.classes.dir}">
<src>
  <fileset file="${common.dir}/Utils.java" />
  <fileset file="${common.dir}/Arrays.java" />
</src>

Know that Javac will pull in extra java source files if imported, it may
compile more than you expect.

-steve